Thursday, December 6, 2007

Much Respect for the Founders/Fighters


I've been reading a lot about the Revolutionary War, the times leading up to it, the people responsible for it, both English and American, and have come to realize that this country, if required to fight the same impossible war today, wouldn't win it, period. If for nothing else, just the long term dedication that it took. These people, we all know their names, Washington, Jefferson, Franklin, Adams, etc., took so much time to learn history, military and political, philosophical, theological, scientific and agricultural knowledge and all before most were 30 years old! The amount of knowledge is incredible and the sum of it all, as well as their determination to win, with their lives on the line, for they would have been hanged or shot for treason without a doubt, is incomprehensible when taken in respect to modern America. The lowly privates in the militias abilities to survive alone is astonishing. Can you imagine marching 600 miles, in a New England winter (think about this) with no shoes, no jacket, no shirts even, (rags in some cases) and often without housing or no more than a tent and a campfire? Are you serious? Did they do that?! Yes, unbelievably, yes, and because of them we're not having tea and crumpets everyday.

5 comments:

danl77 said...

Actually, I am having tea right now. And occasionaly, I have made crumpets.

Matt said...

I made some crumpets today.

and then I flushed them down the toilet.

Jack Croupy, alias said...

Dan, I think you mean, you've had strumpets before...and I believe you.

Matt, your crumpets stink.

Anonymous said...

I love how Nick posts a thoughtful and intelligent blog about our founding fathers and the only comments are "I flushed your crumpets down the toilet."

Mature guys...real mature!

GOD BLESS AMERICA!

Kris

Matt said...

yup.

I'm classy like that.

I actually really enjoyed this post, though. It's true. By thirty, many of those men were truly changing the world. And had learned four languages. And had studied classic literature and governments in their original languages.

Amazing, really.

(and had sex with prostitutes, and drank too much, and fathered numerous illegitimate children... ahhh the good old days!)