Wednesday, June 4, 2008

John Bonham turns 60


In honour of Bonzo's 60th birthday (this past Saturday, May 31st) I thought I'd post a pic of a "Clockwork Orange" Bonham ,at his best, in his element, behind the drums. For someone whose claim to fame was how HARD he hit the drums, he could and did exhibit his finesse and light touch at times. Those bits are some of my favorites. The man could really swing and had an innate musicality that added so much to LZ's music. I especially love his playing on The Rain Song and the slower blues tunes like Tea for One & Since I Been Loving You. I like how he came from the "sticks", along with Robert, and how that part of their background played against Page's and JPJ's urban/session-cat sensibilities. The raw vs. slick, light vs. shade that gave the band a more complex and all encompassing musical pallette. They did country, they did blues (both urban and country), they did seedy, gritty rock, they did funk, folk and more...all with their own branding thoroughly stamped across it...in BIG LETTERS.
So here's to Bonzo...the late, great drummer whose skills and talents I listen and learn from to this day. Rest in peace big guy...you're well remembered.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

In honor of Bonham...Mark and I started watching a documentary series on "Heavy Metal"...but then we learned that most people don't consider Led Zeppelin as true "heavy metal"...but that is all we learned becuase the power went out...

Kris

Unknown said...

Talk about your music trivia!

Sir Michael of Foxcroft said...

I like Led Zeppelin.