Thursday, April 16, 2009

Taintball on Glass


Last night a good friend invited me to see Philip Glass perform at our Alma mater, Miami University in Oxford, OH. I gladly took him up on the offer and had a great time. I really enjoyed the concert, not knowing what to expect because any performance I'd heard of Glass' was an ensemble performance, some being large ensembles. This, in contrast, was Glass playing his own compositions from throughout his career, solo at the piano. What a treat! I've never thought of him as a performer, only a composer (and a great one, at that!). He didn't dissapoint. His skill at playing was not in question once he got started and the challenge of playing his style of composition (much repetition for length of times in the left hand, while playing cross-meter "melodies" with his right), would be very difficult to keep up for such a length of time. I got carpal-tunnel just watching him.

An added bonus to the night was that he introduced each piece with a little history of how it came about, his inspiration to create it and explanation of what, if an excerpt, this performance would include. He also was humorous and seemed very comfortable, which made it more enjoyable. I highly recommend attending any concert of his music, but especially a solo performance, if you're so lucky to have the chance.

To top off the night, we had Bagel&Deli, THE place to eat a good bagel sandwich in Oxford. (Try the Alumni Bagel...it's unbelievably good.) And then went to Mac & Joe's for a couple pints with another college friend of ours, who by chance works for the Performing Arts Series at Miami. He was able to spend some time with Mr. Glass during the day, prior to the concert. He also let us know, had it NOT be for the Dean of Music taking "Phil" out for dinner, it would have been the four of us. YES, me, my two friends from college and our buddy, Philip Glass. Damn Dean of Music! Ah, well. It's nice to think of what that may have been like.

Nevertheless, a wonderful evening and many, MANY thanks to old Hezzie for the invite and ticket!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What an awesome time...very jealouse of Bagel & Deli AND Mac n' Joes!!!

Very cool!
Kris