Thursday, July 2, 2009

Catching up or starting over...whichever.




So here I am on the 2nd of July...much later in the year than it feels. Firstly, because it's 70-something degrees outside and secondly, where did the time go?!

Of late, my little family went to NH for a much needed vacation. Camped on the way to and on the way back, both in New York (pic above). Spent time with the in-laws, which is always nice and relaxing. Next time I MUST bring my cycling gear...it's just too pretty not to go cycling up there. In short, had fun driving father-in-law's Miata on a PERFECT day (pictured below), picked strawberries with Grace, wife and "Nana" (also pictured below), visited John Adams and John Quincy Adams birthplace and mansion, Peacefield in Quincy, MA (pic). A wonderful American artifact that holds more American treasures than I could believe. To look directly at the items those great men used on a daily basis blows my mind. After reading McCullough's book on John Adams, watching the HBO movie based on the book and thinking a lot about what John Adams accomplished in his life...it's just amazing to visit a place so close to him. I also accomplished much drinking of good local micro-brews from the VT, NH and surrounding areas. As Grace would say, "yum-yum in my tum-tum".








Jessica and I recently got the rare chance to go on a long, enjoyable bicycle ride on the Loveland bike trail on Sunday morning. Grace was at Yia-yia and Papou's house and we had a great time. We rode about 30 miles by the end of the ride. A very good showing for not being on the bike for so long. And I wasn't sore at all the next day to boot! I can't explain that, other than maybe because it's pretty flat on the trail, but I usually feel something the next day. Not complaining here, but statin' facts.

The Panegyri festival was this past weekend as well. It was rather forgettable for me...I didn't see much of it, had no time to really wander and think for myself. I was either working (but not as much as the last two years!) taking Grace on rides or trying to FIND PEOPLE! It's just not as much fun as when I was younger, but then...I didn't have a care in the world at that point...and nothing to "get done". I miss those days.

I've been playing gigs recently again. Very enjoyable and meeting new people. I hope this continues because I've missed playing so much and the money on the side is nice. Recently I played on a show at the Aronoff Center's Jarson-Kaplan Hall for a show called Choreographer's without Companies. Basically we (the band gathered for this gig) accompanied a group of contemporary dancers on two songs, an original piece by the guitarist (and fiance of one of the choreographers) and "Message in A Bottle" by The Police. I always enjoy playing songs by The Police. Stewart Copeland is a phenomenal drummer and I love imitating his style of playing. We received many compliments on the performance, some even saying it was difficult to watch the dancers because they wanted to watch us play! I guess that can be good and bad, depending on who you are...the dancers or the musicians. Wonderfully enough, I've been asked to play again the same performance/songs in Louisville in November. I'm looking forward to it.

I think that's about all I've got at the moment...but hoping to get back into the swing of posting again. Till then....cheers.

No comments: