
I've added a nice routine to my evenings recently. About every other night or so, after we get Grace to bed about 8 o'clock, I run upstairs jump into my cycling gear. I hop on my bicycle and head out to destinations unknown. What I find is America, relaxing, doing what it does after spending a long day working, or looking for work. The lighting of these evenings make it a romantic scene. From getting-on-to-dusk, to dusk and on-through-night, with the light angling in on the happenings, it pulls you out of yourself and you see it from a third party perspective... including yourself, riding down the road, watching it all.
On these cool, damp nights, like we've had this summer, on these two lane roads, hi-ways and by-ways that I prefer riding, I'll hear the hollers and cheers from the lighted sand-volleyball games at a bar or two on the side of the road, little neighborhood bars with cars pulling in and out, with the neons lighting the parking spots nearby and the gas stations with their temporary inhabitants. There are also the big-box stores with the lights creating little white circles (islands) on the parking lot. I also see fields of grass or grain getting slowly fogged in, with a distant pair of deer standing just outside the woods nearby. The crunch of gravel and pebbles that I ride on near the sides of the roads spook the little critters foraging just off roadside. They scurry back towards the trees and spook me right back.
There's almost an audible hiss you can just about hear at this time of day. Whether it's caused by the collective sigh of the people, the cooling of the asphalt after being baked all day long, or maybe it's just finally quiet enough to hear the soft hum of all the little sounds meshing together, bugs crawling, leaves rustling...that or I just got a flat. Maybe it's all these things...but it's nice...like an exhalation.
By the time I've spun myself almost home it's dark out...and it's quiet. I have my thoughts to myself, my legs are warm from exertion, my forehead's wet with sweaty effort, my heart has been warmed up, exercised and now is easily pumping my blood through my body and my brain is aware and relaxed, yet scanning for obstacles in the dark. I'm satisfied, but as always wish it wouldn't end...but I'll just go for another ride, another evening.
1 comment:
Wow! That was beautiful!! That is how I feel about hiking too...finally being quiet...both inside and out.
You are one Zen bike-ridin' cat, Nick!
Kris
Post a Comment