Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Last night...



...I went to my first DCI Drum and Bugle Corps show in about a decade. It was an enjoyable night in wonderful weather and I rode my motorcycle up too. That always makes everything more fun. I got there a little late, but no worries. I watched the Glassmen drumline run through their show just before going on, and saw an old friend from Miami Univ., who is now an instructor for the drumline, apparently. Good for him. Followed the drumline to the stadium and caught the last four or five Corps performances. Glassmen, Blue Stars, Cavaliers and Phantom Regiment. Not a bad group for a show at a local high school stadium. I enjoyed all of their performances, but the Cavalier's were by far the most entertaining, hence the photo above.

I was surprised that the Phantom Regiment have apparently given up their hard line of only playing classical music. When did this happen? They sounded, at times, like the Bluecoats, with the swing music, etc! I'll also say that I've never paid so much attention to the Pit Percussion of any Corps as much as I did last night. To my amazement, I thought they were the most interestingly musical parts of the performances. I guess I just miss the sound of the Marimba and various percussive instruments I used to play all the time back in college. I'm wanting to go to another show, but the they don't seem to have any exciting corps in the other two in the area.

Anyway, kudos to the Cavaliers for winning last night and I hope I can catch the finals this year.

1 comment:

Matt said...

huh.... you are here. Who knew?!?

We should def. go grab a frosty beverage sometime soon.