Wednesday, September 16, 2009

An update of sorts

Let's see what going on here in my life....most imminently, I have a gig! Today, in fact, with a new band I'm playing with called Uncle Daddy and the Family Secret. They're a bunch of older gents from the Middletown area who play their own brand of Americana type music. My old friend, Jay, who I used to play with in a couple of bands back in college, plays bass (upright, mind you) and we had a bunch of fun at a rehearsal a week ago, so here goes...let's hope, SOMETHING! I'm glad to be playing again and it looks like they've got at least a twice a month gigging schedule.

I'm hoping this group will continue to inspire me to come up with unique, non-traditional ways of playing, like I kept feeling when I rehearsed with them last. They're way into the Tom Waits style of percussion, hit anything that sounds good for that song. :) So I've been brain-storming some new sounds, locating other things to smack on than the usual drums I haul around. This could be lotsa fun!



I found the picture above one day as I was wondering around the web aimlessly...I love it. Jack Kerouac reading in Neal Cassady's house, photo taken by Neal's wife, with his hiking boots on, yet unlaced...ready to jump up, tighten the laces and hit the trail at any moment. Ain't that the best?!

2 comments:

Matt said...

cool.... you'll have to keep me posted about where/when you are playing. I'll come check it out sometime....

Kris Becknell said...

Nick that is awesome that you found a group to practice your art...I know by living with Mark what a drought of creative outlet can do to a person...he was dying to get back from Greece and pick up a guitar or drumstick.

Kris