Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Strange sighting

So, yes...this is what I almost ran over today. I didn't know they existed, other than the rare albino version, which would have pink eyes. This, as you can see, does NOT have pink eyes. Apparently these mutations happen in "colonies", or whatever they're called, of squirrels for a bit (a generation?) and then that mutation disappears and pops up in another location, seemingly unconnected.
I was driving my car to get lunch through Fairfax only 3-4 streets away from my own house, and some white blur dashes in front of my car. I brake fairly hard, not wanting to kill this white fur blur. I felt either the grind of my ABS or the crunch of tiny little bones and was worried, because by that time I'd realized it was a white squirrel. The likes of which I've never seen nor heard of...I might be in science journals everywhere! Thankfully, the little guy (or girl) avoided my crushing wheels and scurried off into a yard, turning around near a bush to flash me a nasty look. I couldn't believe it...one, that he got away and two that he was white...all white, with black, beady little eyes.
I quickly did some research on them when I got back to work. Amazingly, this happens and not infrequently. (There goes my science journal fame!) I still feel pretty lucky to have seen one though...after 30-some odd years...it's a first. It could be another 30 or more till I see one again.
Just thought I'd share.

4 comments:

Betsy Myers said...

Cool Beaners!

Kris Becknell said...

Nick's White "Whale"...you now are on a constant search to find another...and DESTROY it...or SNUGGLE it :)

Kent, OH, my hometown, is full of Black Squirrels...also a result of a mutation. They are agressive and gigantic...that is why I moved away.

Kris

danl77 said...

so nice to hear you have time to research at work. It must be a really tough and demanding job. ha ha. miss you guys.

Becky Schatz said...

Hey, at least he has a job, hippie.