Friday, December 4, 2009

Gag reflex, Frozen Daddies and Hummingbirds

I had a frightening moment the other night. We were having pizza, fresh from the oven...Grace was hungry and she loves pizza. It was cool enough to eat, yet the cheese was very stringy still. She was gobbling it down and began to choke. I don't know if it was the cheese straddling her throat and mouth or if the piece was too big, but she kept looking at me and gagging and semi-coughing. I couldn't move, all I kept saying was, "cough, baby, cough". She just kept looking at me, with those "help me" eyes. It was my lowest point as a parent, to this day. I was paralyzed with fear and helplessness. I didn't know what to do, even though I knew what do (light Heimlich kind of movement). I was too afraid I'd hurt her, or I'd do it wrong. I just sat there, I'm sorry to report.






Thankfully, Jess hopped up and pushed her fingers lightly under her sternum and Grace coughed it up and then puked on her plate. Strangely, Grace was most sad about throwing up on her food and she cried a tear or two. I just kissed her and sat there realizing how close that was and how horrible it could have been. I gave Jess a big hug later that night and thanked her for being there and moving so quickly.

Needless to say, it scared the swiss cheese out of me. I'd like to think if Jess wasn't there I would have eventually acted (and quickly!), but that Jess just moved before I did...I hope so. It was the worst feeling.


I just recently read a...article, or journal entry, I guess you could call it, by a guy I have respected (and emulated in various ways) for some time. Call me a geek all you want, but I love his writing...it resonates with me. I'll put a link to it, because it touches on the fragility of life, the stress and worry of a parent, interesting facts about Hummingbirds (a recent interest of mine, since we added a feeder for those winged wonders this summer) and, ultimately, a touching story. Yes, it's a bit long, but worth it, as far as I'm concerned (and it has PICTURES!).

Please write a "rebuttal" if you do read it in its entirety and you have thoughts in any way.

1 comment:

Matt said...

Ok... so you lured me here with promises of a different blog, but I read this one...

and I read ALL (yesssirreeebob ALL) of Neal Peart's blog.

And yes, it was a good rumination on the fragility of life and the helplessness that we sometimes feel despite the instinct to preserve and protect.

He came across as a fairly good writer. (as do you, my friend). Maybe it's something about drummers (hah.... just kidding there!!!)