The Tour de France is on...did you know? I haven't been able to keep up with it since I now have only basic cable, so don't have Versus anymore. One of my favorite things to look at are old photos from the Tour. They're so romantic looking. I love the shots of the cyclists riding through towns, the styles of the people's outfits, the spare tires wrapped around cyclists torsos (they used to have to carry their spares themselves!), and the desolate mountaintop shots of one or two fans cheering on a lone rider. I think I enjoy the history of the Tour as much as the current one being ridden, if not more. The doping controversies get old, but there are photos of the cyclists back in the day stopping in a town and having a pint or two of beer, and apparently most of them were on pain killers and other illegal substances just to make it through. When you think about what they accomplish and for how long (THREE WEEKS!)...riding around a good sized country(!), it's not surprising. If you like amazing stories full of fun, historical, romantic facts, pick up a book on the Tour de France. You'll thank me later.
No comments:
Post a Comment