Tuesday, February 7, 2012

new fitness

So, we joined a gym. Typical thing to do in the winter, right? Well, this was instigated by Jess and, at first, I was hesitant. First, it would be expensive, but our problem with the other gyms we had joined in our 7+ years together was they weren't always very close. This one is a 10 minute walk or a short bike/car ride. The second thing, now that we two little ones, was that they had an indoor and outdoor pool (open seasonaly, obviously), and that outdoor pool has a "zero-entry", which we thought would be great from Little Ri, so this seemed perfect. We could ride our bikes to the pool in the summer and it's close enough that Jess and I could go quickly and get back without delay. They also have a really nice children's area that has full-time "teachers", plus some free "classes" for Grace's age kids.

So far so good! We've been successful since our start (Jan.1st) on sticking with a routine. I haven't been as good, but for good reason...rehearsals and gigs! YAY! Jess goes everyday after work with Grace and is done in time to either get Ri or start dinner, while I get Ri.

I'm seeing and feeling a difference in myself and Jess is happy to get back to her pre-baby self. I'm really quite proud of her drive to go. Since the weather has been nice, I've been able to get on my road bike a few times and my workouts have proven themselves well. I did 28 miles with a major climb and it was hardly what I thought it would be. I just moved right up that steep hill. No panting or dying halfway up...thank goodness. Here's to a year of fitness and lots of riding!!

No comments: