Thursday, February 2, 2012

Hello! I'm alive, but busy...

Ok, Sorry Hez and the other two people who might come across this blog on occasion. I've been remiss, so here's the haps:

We're going to Disney World! Taking the two lil' monkeys to Florida to visit Hezzie and family, then hitting Sea World and WDW too. I know my Grace will be very excited and have tons of fun. Lil' Maria will to, I'm sure, as she has fun anytime, anywhere.

Which brings me to a point that's been bothering me. Grace, now five, is going to a phase (please let it only be a phase!!) that has me concerned. She complains and finds something to be upset about all the time. Yesterday morning she was complaining about something that happened four months ago! I've been reminding her that I miss my happy-go-lucky Grace and that she has a decision at every moment whether to be happy or upset.

This morning she had a fit over the fact I put a little box of raisins in her lunchbox. She "hates" raisins, apparently. Even though she has them almost every morning with her yogurt and granola (it's in the granola cereal). She got so angry and stomping her foot, starting crying and this is AFTER she had breakfast, so it's not that she had low blood sugar or anything. "You don't love me anymore!" she said. That hurt, and all over some raisins? UGH. I hope she comes out of this...I'm trying to steer her using positive direction...hope it works!

Other things happening? YES. Jody Stapleton & the Generals, my band of that last year, has been moving along and getting good responses when we play. We're recording the second week of February, so that's really exciting! I've been playing in an African drumming ensemble with my buddy Mark and our friend from MU, Matt Flynn. So much fun doing that on a weekly basis...getting chops back and having the freedom to improvise a lot has been great. There's something deep and primally gratifying when your hand hits a drum of wood and animal skin. Rhythm being a basis of life, and using all natural items to create a drum and play with others...hippy-sounding as it is...there's a lot of truth to it, and a lot of healing that happens, if you let yourself be open to it.

Mark and I are also playing our steel drums a lot and working up a band that we hope will be something really special. High energy, dance-able and a feel-good party atmosphere is what we're going for...should be awesome once we're up and running.

Still trying to cycle as much as possible. Near impossible to ride to work when I'm the one dropping off the girls in the morning at their respective schools. The weather this winter has been amazingly warm! I'm trying to take advantage as much as possible. I'm also starting to try to get back to my heavy reading, but there's only so much time in the day!

My wife is amazing and has already got our Fed taxes done and we're on our way to a more comfortable financial situation, now that Grace is in Kindergarten (FREE!) and we both recently got a raise...hers much bigger than expected (yay!). Our lovely city is becoming much more hip and there's so much wonderful change going on that I'm very excited for our future here. Job is great and I work with my brother and friends...can I be blessed much more?

That's it for now...till next time (hopefully not more than a couple days this time!)

JC

1 comment:

Kris Becknell said...

I actually remember my "You don't love me"/"I hate you" phase. I even remember knowing that I didn't mean it when I said it...I said it because I knew it would hurt my parents and possibly get me out of punishment. And if it didn't work and I still got sent to my room, I would wail and kick and scream...mostly for show...until I wore myself out. Kids learn fast what works and won't work. That being said...I have no advice for you.

Kris "Dogs Can't Talk or Cry" Becknell