Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Fall and The Hereafter?

Fall is here. It's raining quite a bit, considering we have received near no rainfall all summer. I forgot how depressing it can get when it continues day after day. It is my favorite time of year even though it gets a little depressing. Kind of like how I love the old country ballads, depressing, low-down blues and anything with a whiny pedal steel guitar or fiddle. There's a romance about depression or just being in that state of mind. And music, more than any art form, seems to have claimed that feeling for it's own....or at least has taken the lion's share.

The end of the day is also a favorite. The waning of the light, the chance to slow down and think, maybe take a walk. It's always made me wonder if I'm going to enjoy the "autumn" of my life. Of course, the end of the day and the end of the long, warm summer days always hold the promise of another one just beyond the night/winter. I guess it comes down to what you believe happens hereafter. I haven't convinced myself on that quite yet....but I've got a feeling it'll be better, whether it's a gold paved lane in heaven (my least favorite...too much like the present and who needs that much gold anyway...and, honestly, how silly), an automatic metamorphosis into universal energy (my favorite at the moment), rebirth in another form or body (eh, I'll take it I guess, if I can take my memory of this life) or nothing. (ok, that one sounds like it sucks, but I don't think it'll matter, eh?)

I'm imagining what some may think of these thoughts..."why all the talk of death?"...let me say that if one doesn't contemplate it as you live (it IS, afterall, a part of life) then one probably won't deal with it well when your time comes.

6 comments:

danl77 said...

I think it is interesting how many of us love fall. In essence, fall is the death of many things. But, are we sad? No. Why? Becuase we know there will be a rebirth in the spring. Why is it, then, that so few of us look at death of humans in the same way? Why are we not reborn? I feel more at piece now with the idea of reincarnationthan ever before. I can prove it, but who can prove anything? I just look around me and realize that it is evident in nature. I love fall too. I think it is the realization that life does not end, but is a continuous cycle. I can't wait to meet you all the next time around.

danl77 said...

"Peace" not "Piece"

Matt said...

I used to be very opposed to the concept of reincarnation. I thought it was silly to think that I was a cow in a previous life.

I'm coming around, though... But not in the literal sense that I was a cow in a former life. All life is connected - what we eat was once alive and it becomes part of us, what leaves us goes on to nourish other plants and animals.

One reason I really want to be cremated and my remains spread is that it hastens this process. We really should decompose to return some of out nutrients to the earth, but they don't allow that anymore.

By dying we become part of another life. We won't have the same memories or thoughts, but we're all part of the same thing. It's why buddhism teaches the removal of "self". Our concept of self is more defined than in any other animal (See also, genetic anomaly/mutation). I could go on for a while, but I already have said more than enough.

Matt said...

"whether it's a gold paved lane in heaven (my least favorite...too much like the present and who needs that much gold anyway...and, honestly, how silly"

Interesting, though, isn't it, that that is the heaven portrayed by the most capitalist societies? Amazing how it is programed into us at every chance...

Jack Croupy, alias said...

I never thought of coming from a "capitalist" environment, but a simplistic idea of something incomprehensible.

Jack Croupy, alias said...

Well said, Dan. Much more succinct than I could muster. As you could see. I like both your thoughts on the topic.

Cheers to both of you! I raise my glass...