I've added a "Recent Reads" section to the blog. These I may or may not comment on in future posts, but since it's the announcement of this fun and exciting new attraction here at Taintball, I thought I'd give some info.
The 33 1/3 series are interesting. Well, some are and some aren't. They're small books on single albums that have had an impact on a part of the public. Sometimes they are blockbusters i.e. The Stones' Exile on Main St. and some cult classics. i.e. REM's Murmur. I read Exile first and enjoyed it because I like hearing about Keith, living in a French mansion, smacked out on heroin and making the darkest, most interesting album the Stones ever made. Murmur was interesting since I knew virtually nothing about the beginnings of the band and it's my fav album of theirs as well. To boot, I'm closing in on the end of Led Zep's fourth album novella and, though it seems immature and silly as an adult at times, this book dives into the occult rumours that swirl around this album, but does it in a realistic way. In fact, laughs at most of the bizarre rumours spread about it and does good research about the "possible" stuff. When I'm feeling that weird need to get lost in music/nature and get that childlike view of the big, wild, mystical world, I prefer jump into their world. Though tedious a couple of times, in general, I've enjoyed this book the most, probably because it's the album that's been with me the longest. Next in the line-up is The Band's Music from Big Pink.
Lastly is Wonderful Tonight: George Harrison, Eric Clapton and me by Pattie Boyd. Yes, Pattie's side of the story of the strange wife swap of two best friends and their wife Pattie Boyd-Harrison-Clapton. The juries still out as I'm in the middle, literally, but if nothing else it gives you a more realistic picture of these two musical heroes and lays them out as we should view them...mere men with some serious problems who happen to be terrific musicians and songwriters. It's not a "revenge/tell-all" book in the slightest, but since she's not part of the fan(atic) music media, it's much more apparent who these guys were, at least when she was with them. Her pre-fame life is quite interesting as well.
Friday, October 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Ok, that was a little long, but I'm really enjoying putting my thoughts down and this blog thing is really quite cool. :)
Mr. Croupy...we are all really enjoying reading your thoughts as well. In fact, Mark, Matt and I talked last night about what a great outlet your blog seems to be for your clearly creative and bustling mind. I am so glad you decided to join the blogosphere.
Kris
like she said...
It's been enjoyable reading your musings.
I'm not much of a reader of stuff about music. It tends to bore me a bit. Just a personal take. I've seen the 33 1/3 series. There's a load of them out there. Fortunately, they're usually sort of short, easy reads it looks like. I may be able to handle that.
Gee, shucks. :) You've put a good smile on my face. Thanks for your kind words. I do enjoy it and have more to say than I ever thought possible. (quick someone shut me up!)
Matt, I can see how some might NOT like some of these, but the library has them (how I got them) and if you don't like 'em, oh well, no harm done. :)
I'm drunk...
Oh and Nick, I enjoy your musings and thoughts. I miss the Kaldi's Days. We need to go back,
I'm still drunk
I can't read.
fyi - I saw Eric Clapton on Larry King Live one night (as I was up with Katherine!) and it was so interesting. It's not often (or ever) that I have even heard him speak. He talked about George, losing Conner and etc. Catch it if you can. (do they show re-runs?)
p.s. Croupster - I love reading this. We just don't get to spend time like we used to.
Post a Comment