Tuesday, October 16, 2007

the workplace

My current boss has taken a job in another department. His position is open and I could easily be a candidate for his position. I dislike the "culture" of my workplace. I believe that the company doesn't value the dept I work in, but I would like to increase my income to ease the financial struggles of a growing family. I've applied to multiple jobs in the recent past with no feedback. I'm going to apply for this as soon as it's posted for my families sake, but I feel hesitant considering I dislike the company and don't know if I'll enjoy or even tolerate the new management responsibilities. I've been a peer of my coworkers for 3 years now, but then I'll be their boss. Who's to say I'll get it, but...I have to think ahead, if it was offered, what then? It comes down to how much they'll pay I guess. Doesn't it always?

7 comments:

Jack Croupy, alias said...

Aren't those two pictures about as far from each other as possible? It's a jarring sight...and uncomfortable. Shows how far we've come from any kind of natural/spiritual closeness.

Anonymous said...

I would much rather sit in a bodhi tree instead of a cube farm for work...and I probably could...as long as it has wireless internet access.

That Ostrich farm in Saskatoon isn't sounding so bad now, is it? Who's in?!?!? Community of friends, Free Love, Ostrich Burgers galore!! Come on!!!

Matt said...

If free love is involved, then I'm definitely in. I believe a communal system would work with the right people, but it would be a challenge.

Jack, I don't know... digging yourself in deeper may not be the answer - it typically only creates a higher potential for real burnout... regardless of the monetary benefits. What would your personal benefits be?

danl77 said...

I disagree Jack C. It ISN"T always about money.

Take me...I could be making about $7,000 more this year if I had stuck with the High School. My current happiness is priceless. Non-attachment to material things, I say. Sure, I can't get everything I want, but my idea of what I want has now changed.

I understand your concern for your family, but I would say it sounds more like fear from what society says you should be doing. (you like the society insert...down with the MAN!!!!)

Jack Croupy, alias said...

Well, the fact that we're scraping the bottom of the barrel to make ends meet since Grace is in Daycare is the biggest reason. Of course, I am looking elsewhere, (Kris, why hasn't your boss called me for an interview?!!) so I'm not really that desperate that I HAVE to take this. I'm hoping some other jobs open up soon, but if they don't I will probably take this. Oh, and I'm 100% positive all 4 of you make more than I do. 100%, no joke.

Matt said...

that blows. You're working for a bank.

You should figure out how to embezzle money... like that dude in office space.

danl77 said...

Are you kidding me? I am a teacher...

If I make more, that is awesome...cuase I get more vacation too!!!

Nick..go get your teaching License!!!!!!!!!!! Then we can party all summer.