
Well, not only a one of my fav Stones songs, but a title that could be applied to this past weekend. Hybrid Mind, Stupid Thursday and I went and visited the Old Green Truck in his gimpy state of healing his foot. What a great weekend. I love visiting him. He's great at diving right into the depth of his thoughts seconds from us walking in the front door. I've never had to dig to get to the crux of his current status. He's an open book, at least to his good friends and I doubt he's like that with everyone, which makes me feel wonderful that he feels so trusting with us that he doesn't need to hide anything. I hope he knows the feeling's mutual. I can always feel free to look at my life and step back out of it and clarify my intentions when I'm there. And we always talk about meaningful ideas and thoughts, in between the junior high humor, fart/bodily function jokes, and the like...which reminds each other that we aren't taking ourselves too seriously. Friends like these don't fall out of the sky. And I appreciate them for who they are.
I titled it "waiting on a friend" and I guess I meant it in more ways than one. Waiting, as in the waiter at a table, in that we were assisting him. In some errands, keeping him occupied and out of his ever over-analyzing head, and entertaining him (hopefully, we entertained). Also, we talked about companionship, romantic mostly, but other types as well like intellectual, physical, etc. He's waiting on that friend...I know he'll find them. How one can not be intrigued by his sense of humor, drive to better himself and honesty, I can't say. For those and many other reasons, I know he'll find his companion. And lastly, waiting on his gimpy ass on those crutches...(you know I'm just razzing you, man.)
Every time I enter his home, I find about 7 books I want to read. "In the Wild" was brought up in discussion via the recent film. I had never seen the film nor read the book, but had heard of the subject. It was a thin book and I started checking out the first couple pages and was sucked in immediately. By the end of the weekend I had finished half the book and was looking to pick up a copy at my local library. Thanks go to my wonderful, insightful friends who hipped me to yet another wonderful, thought-inducing book to contemplate. (Sorry if I was anti-social for a bit guys, but I had to catch up on this subject so I could jump in the discussion!) Needless to say that H.M. and S.T. are insightful conversationalists (if offbase on the driving skills!) and wonderful road companions.
I know as I sit and think back over this weekend, that these friends (and nutcases) I hang with are irreplaceable and invaluable to me. They give so much of themselves, are truly selfless when it comes to sacrificing for friends and I learn so much from their honest reflections that I'd be a poor, poor man without their presence in my life. Hezzie, if not touring India at the moment, would have been a perfect addition to this hilarious and insightful weekend.
Quick healing O.G.T! I meant it when I said call anytime.
3 comments:
I want to have sex with you right now.
I am uncomfortable. Nick, I am staying at your house from now on.
Yikes...
Post a Comment