Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Good from Bad

I've been thinking about how this little power outage we've had recently, which was thankfully only a nuisance for my family, brought out some of the best in people. A real sense of community occurred on our street. People, at first out of sheer curiosity from the storm, then boredom, were out talking to others, sharing stories, etc. It was great to step outside and see up to 10 or more of your neighbors talking, laughing and their kids running around playing at 8 pm in the evening. I hung out with the 80+ year old woman across the street for a few hours on Monday...she's a hoot. Other than the damage to property, and hopefully it wasn't bad for any of you Taintball readers, more good than bad came from this little situation from my viewpoint. But it DID make me think how bad the Texas populace have it right now...God bless 'em.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was enjoying the lack of mind numbing white noise from electronics too...until I had to throw out my 42 gallon drum of mayonnaise. God how I miss that condiment!!!

Kris

Sir Michael of Foxcroft said...

I know I'm not really allowed to comment as my electricity was out for 5 hours, but...
We didn't get our cable back until last night, so we watched a lot less television over the past week and I enjoyed myself thoroughly. I think it's a good idea for every human to pull themselves from our technological resources from time to time. Probably good for the body and mind.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I love the cat sign...that is HILARIOUS...and that cat is magnificent!

Kris