I've recently started a new routine that I'm extremely happy about. Not only a new routine, but actually added a new hobby as well. Now that I slow down enough to think about it... Gee, I've been really productive recently because I've also kept up very nicely with a renewed vigor for reading too! I've added some of the books I've been reading to my "Recent Reads" found to the right of this here blog. I'll make sure to make the latest updates after posting this.
The new ritual is being a determined bicycle commuter. I started last week and did four of the five days...and yes, if you remember, it was COLD last week, in the 20's as I rode to work and only a few degrees warmer on the way back...but my reasoning was two fold. I am DETERMINED to ride to work as much as I can this entire year. Yes, you read it right...the entire year. Which means cold/hot/rainy, you name it, I'll be riding as much as possible. There will be days I cannot, such as post work obligations, schedules with Grace involved, etc. As soon as it's warm enough for Grace, she will be taken to school on the bike as well. (We have a "chariot" ride behind cart-type thing she rides in...which she loves.) The school has allowed me to keep the "chariot" at school while she's there, so Jess can pick her up with a bike OR car (car for now, since she's pregnant!).So that's a resolution I'll do my best to stick to, which is difficult for me, as I get into things all hot and heavy, then lose interest after awhile and find something new to obsess about. Bicycle commuting does have many other things going for it...I'll stay in shape, save money on gas and really, I have no reason NOT to...there are about 3 miles (though hilly!) between my home, Grace's school and work...it would be ridiculous not to use a bicycle.
Another reason I started this just recently is I need to get into shape since I made the financial commitment to rent a road bike in Maui while we're there...in a WEEK! It'll be a lot of fun, but hard on the legs, and after a very cold winter where I couldn't ride because of the extreme cold and excessive snow.
My new hobby is, of course, to do with bicycles since, like I said, I find new things to obsess about and right now it's bicycling in general. I've received a couple "donated" bikes that people didn't want or have a use for. I'm now pulling them completely apart, cleaning/oiling and reconstructing them better than they were before. I'm either going to trade or sell them or make them into a good commuter bike for myself. I'm in the deconstructing phase of my second bike and the first has been rebuilt, but needs some upgrades or new accoutrements.
A newness has really sprung up in many facets of my life...an urge to learn more, be more involved in community, get my hands dirty DOING something, and a desire to grow. It must be Spring or just a general tiredness of my recent malaise in growth. This has led to me working on bikes, getting in shape (actually have been going to a gym on weekends), reading and listening to books on CD in the car when I do drive, even listening to new music and changing my style of dress, as much as that's financially possible. I've really been ravenous in finding new music. Thank God for Paste Magazine, which has led me to not only new music, but books and movies too. Some recent (and some not so recent) finds in music are: Hot Chip, MGMT, The xx, The Magnetic Fields, Tune-yards, Beirut, Kings of Convenience, Vampire Weekend, Laura Veirs, and a few more. Most of this is really FANTASTIC music.
All this is like a new page of the book of my life has just turned...I hope it's a happy and healthy one.
3 comments:
Nice! go for it!
Hey Nick...I saw you pedalling through Oakley Square this morning (I think)...good job!!!
Kris
If the person had my signature bright orange pullover and jeans, then it was me. I've been riding the mountain bike as my commuter until I get done with my rehaul of an old orange Schwinn. It's rad, and my fav color ORANGE!
Post a Comment